Pages

Saturday, February 18, 2012

The House Plants

I really love houseplants but my cat, Byron has proven to me that I can't keep most of the plants I'd love to have. Violets, ferns, moss terrariums, they've all fallen victim to the wrath of Byron whose greatest joy is nibbling, pawing and toppling my plants.

I'm not nearly as interested in this organic, rooted cat grass as I am eating the violets your boyfriend gave you.
The best example I have of this sort of tyranny against plants is a visit he took to my family's house where my sister has a few indoor herbs. I left Byron there for a month while work was being done on my apt. During this visit, my sister called me twice.
The first call went like this,
                             "Hello?"
                             "DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR CAT DID?"
                             "What?"
                             "HE POOPED IN MY BASIL PLANT! HE KNOCKED IT OVER AND POOPED IN IT, IT'S IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FLOOR, ALL DUG UP! HE POOPED IN IT!"
That was the point in the conversation I couldn't respond because I was too busy laughing.

The second phone call went like this,
                             "Hey"
                             "HE DID IT AGAIN! HE POOPED IN MY OTHER BASIL PLANT!"
Needless to say, I found the whole thing hilarious, but I also knew I wouldn't be getting any basil plants for my own apt.

Sneaky cat, probably pooping in there.
Luckily for me, succulents are hearty enough to withstand him while being easy to proliferate and absent of floral odor. Which of course means that until I can find a home with enough sunny window sills or ceiling planters for both my cat and my plants, I'm restricted to some tiny spots where I place as many tiny plants as I can.
The greatest love story ever told?
It's also an outlet for my plastic figurine collection that I also can't leave out because of Byron.


"I might be safe here..."
But I can hope too, right? Here's a temporary little set up that lasted about 4 minutes,


Thought I'd try a little scene with the moss & trees my sisters got me but it lasted about 4 minutes


Oh Well.

As an aside, I am in the process of making Etsy store updates so there is a bit of activity going on over there- and more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment