Pages

Friday, June 25, 2010

Three Bird Necklace


This is a necklace I made for my final project in Jewelry I in Spring 2006 (yeah, playing mad crazy catch-up). When I enrolled I thought it would be chain-linking and beading work but actually it was a lot of metal cutting- A LOT.
If you ever want a bicep work out, I suggest you get into it.


The piece itself is made of hand-cut silver and a hand made catch and all seams were soldered shut. I went through a lot of hours and a lot of broken saw blades for it to exist.
The concept is about home and capture so there are a lot of characteristic "thorns" on the branches. I wanted the plants to sort of cage the birds while still appearing to be open. Also it is a bit of a mock on laurels. Prized, coveted, beloved but trapped.

No comments:

Post a Comment