Pages

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

In Progress- Mermaid And "Plague Doctor"

I was going through some of my drawers of materials when I happened across a few started-never-finished doll bodies. There was the head and torso of an old woman, a Siamese twin torso and one random body that was too androgynous.

Out of the three, I felt inclined to give the manly one some "plastic surgery". I liked the outcome quite a bit and started on an idea I've been dying to work on for quite some time,

Love Affair with the Plague Doctor (or something like that):


As of now, only the eyes are stitched in (still need color). The mask is mostly made but everything else in pinned on. I'm still playing around with the style of hair and whether I want a big dramatic Plague Doctor hat or if it'd be too overpowering.



I've always been in love with the imagery of the plague doctor, birds, skeletons and masquerade. The cute stuff is definitely fun to make and come up with but I'm very pleased to be making a piece that's more dream-like. (Uh, like my dreams I guess. What do you want from me? I had a dream last night I was at a mall and there was a sniper there.)



And also, I put in some work on the mermaid (I know, about time!) She still needs arms (hands are a bitch to make btw).


I put small beads on the tail to sort of mimic pretty ocean debris. The back is stitching that I was going to cover but grew on me over time. I'm debating pigmenting the skin a little.

2 comments:

  1. *gasp gasp*

    Oh my goodness, she/he/it is awesome! The plague doctor... wow wow wow! At first I thought she was a birdy entirely, but now I understand it's a bird mask (oooh!)

    I'm loving all the laces you are using on that one, and that little fish is shaping up nicely!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :D
    The top of the dress is a vintage handkerchief with a lace corner so it's very lovely and aged. I bought a small lot of them recently and have been trying to incorporate them where I can (hence dress & other birds).

    ReplyDelete